Saturday , 24 July 2021

Draws For Special Walleye Licences

Alberta has developed an innovative approach to allow a sustainable level of harvest of walleye from lakes that have recovered from major declines. Several fisheries have recovered to the point where a limited harvest of specific sizes of walleye can be allocated. Recognizing the need to conserve fisheries, where fishing pressure is substantial, a limited harvest option was been developed. A special licence is available for walleye to Albertans selected through a draw at specified lakes. These lakes are selected based on current stock assessment and sport fishery information.

Notice to Anglers 
At the time of printing this document, the lakes identified are open for the current season under a Special Licence Draw. Alberta Environment and Parks reserves the right to close any lake if it is deemed that a fish stock can not sustain itself or sustain a harvest. For example, if a lake is at risk of winterkill, AEP will implement a zero harvest regulation. If you have any questions regarding this statement, contact Fish and Wildlife Policy Branch by email at [email protected].

Tagging instructions
A walleye that is retained must be tagged immediately through the gill cavity and mouth with a paper tag and wire. To tag your walleye refer to the instructions on the tag.

2018 DRAWS

April 3 – April 26, 2018
Draw applications may be purchased for $3.35 (plus GST) online at albertarelm.com or at licence issuers.

May 7, 2018
Draw results may be viewed online at albertarelm.com.

May 10, 2018
Undersubscribed Licence information available online at mywildalberta.com.

May 11, 2018
Special Walleye Licence may be purchased for $11.00 (plus GST) online at albertarelm.com and at licence issuers.

May 11, 2018
Undersubscribed Special Walleye Licences may be purchased for $11.00 (plus GST) online at albertarelm.com or at licence issuers..

DRAW RULES including types of Special Walleye Licences
Type of Special Walleye Licence
Draws Available
Restrictions on Applying
for these Draws
Walleye Class A
(2 over 50 cm)Walleye Class B
(3 between 43-50 cm)

Walleye Class C
(3 under 43 cm)

● An Alberta resident may apply for all 3 draws but will only be drawn in one.
● Draws will be
conducted in the following order: Class A, Class B, Class C.
● Applicants drawn will be eliminated from subsequent draws. Applicants NOT drawn will be issued a priority point. This increases the chance of being drawn in future draws.
● Your application for either Class A, B, or C can include your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice of lake.
● Up to 4 applicants can apply as a group.
● The priority of a group application is
based on the individual with the lowest priority.
● Please visit albertarelm.com for more detailed information on what opportunities are available including statistics on previous draws.

All applicants require a Wildlife Identification Number (WiN). A WiN card can be purchased online at albertarelm.com and at any licence issuer.

If you only want to increase your draw priority, choose priority only (999) as your first and only choice.

You can view last years Special Licence Draw Summary Report. This provides statistics on the number of applications, licences available, and your chances of being drawn. Visit albertarelm.com.

If there are not enough draw applicants to fill the Special Walleye Licence quotas, the undersubscribed licences are made available to eligible Alberta resident anglers on a first-come first-served basis.

Undersubscribed licences become available for purchase May 11, 2018.

Draw priorities are not affected by purchasing an undersubscribed licence.

Special Harvest tags and wires can be ordered online at albertarelm.com or picked up at your local Fish and Wildlife office.

Licences and Costs 

Recreational fishing licences are available for purchase online at albertarelm.com or at one of more than 300 private licence issuers. To apply for a special walleye licence or purchase a undersubscribed special walleye licence visit albertarelm.com.

To buy a licence, you must have a WiN card. For more information, see table. An Alberta Sportfishing Licence is required to fish in Alberta by means of sportfishing (see table). If you are under 16 years of age, an Alberta resident aged 65 or older, or a First Nations person who is defined as an Indian under the federal Indian Act, you are not required to have a Sportfishing Licence, but you must follow sportfishing regulations. For more information regarding Indigenous Rights and Responsibilities in regards to fishing, please visit the department’s website at aep.alberta.ca.

Sportfishing Licences are not required when a person is sportfishing on a designated Family Fishing Weekend. For more information, visit mywildalberta.ca, under the “Fishing” tab.

Licence Alberta Residents1 Non-resident Canadians2 Non-Residents outside of Canada
Annual Sportfishing Licence (16-64 years) $28.00 $60.00 $85.00
Annual Youth Sportfishing Licence
(under 16 years)
No Licence Required No Licence Required No Licence Required
Annual Senior Sportfishing Licence 
(65 years and over)
No Licence Required $60.00 $85.00
1-Day Sportfishing Licence Not Available $25.00 $26.63
7-Day Sportfishing Licence Not Available $41.00 $55.00
Special Walleye Harvest Licence3,4 $11.00 Not Available Not Available
1 Alberta resident is a resident of Canada and has their only or primary residence in Alberta.

2 A non-resident Canadian has their only or primary residence in Canada and is a Canadian citizen or is admitted to permanent residence in Canada and has lived in Canada for the immediately preceding 12-month period.

3 See page 18 for draw information.

4 Draw / undersubscribed application fee is $3.35 and a Licence Reprint is $2.00.

Licences must be carried at all times while sportfishing and transporting fish and must be presented immediately to an officer upon request.

If a person is convicted of a provincial fishing offence and fails to pay their fine, they will be suspended from purchasing or using a sportfishing licence, a hunting licence or applying on draws until that outstanding fine has been paid. Similarly, failure to pay a fine resulting from a hunting conviction will result in the same restrictions.

How are the Sportfishing Licensing fees used? More than 300,000 Sportfishing licences were sold in 2017 generating more than $8.6 million in revenue. For each $1 of revenue collected:

  • $0.64 is distributed to the Alberta Conservation Association. For more information on how funds are used to support Fisheries programs, please visit www.ab-conservation.com
  • $0.31 is used for licensing allocation and administration providing compensation to the Service Provider and the network of private Licence Issuers as well as provides funds for programs to
    monitor fish populations. For more information, visit mywildalberta.ca
  • $0.05 goes to Government of Alberta General Revenue Fund

Lost/destroyed licences – all purchased licences can be reprinted either at a licence issuer for a $2.00 fee or online at no charge.

Lost/destroyed tags – You are required to bring your licence and complete a statutory declaration to authorize the replacement at a Fish and Wildlife office.

Recreational Licensing System

Recreational fishing and hunting licences are sold online or through licence issuers. A list of licence issuers is available at albertarelm.com.

WiN Cards
Anglers and hunters must have a Wildlife Identification Number (WiN) before purchasing any licence or Wildlife Certificate. The cost is $8.00 and is valid for 5 years.

Purchase your WiN card at albertarelm.com. At the time of your WiN purchase, you will receive a permanent 10-digit WiN. A permanent WiN card will be mailed out.

Renewal of Expired WiNs
When your WiN expires, you will be required to renew your WiN prior to buying a licence. A WiN renewal costs $8.00 and is valid for five years. A new WiN card with your new expiry date will be mailed out.

Please verify the personal information shown on your WiN renewal and provide information updates to the licence Issuers or online at albertarelm.com. A correct address, email, and phone number are important to ensure that you receive your new WiN Card and important information regarding licences that you’ve purchased.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can I renew my WiN before it expires?
A: Yes. WiNs that expire within one year can be renewed.

Q: How long is my WiN valid for if I renew before my expiry date?
A: Five years will be added to the original expiry date.

Q. Does a senior or youth require a WiN card?
A. A WiN card is required by youth and seniors only if they want to participate in Special Walleye Licence draws.

For assistance, please contact the ReLM help desk at 1-888-944-5494.

7 days a week, 6:00 AM to Midnight (MST)

Spearfishing / Bowfishing

A special licence for spearfishing or bowfishing is not required. Spearfishing and bowfishing is allowed under the Alberta Sportfishing Licence.
Only spears propelled by spring, elastic, compressed gas or muscular power are permitted.
Only persons who are swimming may spearfish.
Spears or bows cannot be used to take trout, mountain whitefish, Arctic grayling, lake sturgeon, walleye or northern pike.
Spearfishing or bowfishing are not permitted in Gods, May, Seibert, Winefred, Andrew, Gardiner and Namur lakes.

Sportfishing in Provincial and National Parks

Alberta Sportfishing Regulations apply in Alberta Provincial Parks but not in Canada’s National Parks. Separate regulations apply to those waters or the portion of waters within National Parks. To fish in a National Park, you need a National Park Fishing Permit which is valid only within the National Park. National Park fishing permits are available at most park facilities and some commercial outlets. General Inquiries for Parks Canada National office call 1-888-773-8888.

Fishing in a Wilderness Area or Ecological Reserve is prohibited by the Wilderness Areas, Ecological Reserves, Natural Areas and Heritage Rangelands Act.

Sportfishing in Cold Lake

Sportfishing in Cold Lake requires either an Alberta Sportfishing Licence (see licence exemptions under “Requirements”), or a Saskatchewan Angling Licence. The Alberta Fishery Regulations, 1998 apply to the Alberta portion of Cold Lake; while the Saskatchewan Regulations apply to the Saskatchewan portion of Cold Lake (Saskatchewan regulations are consistent with Alberta regulations for Cold Lake).

Competitive Fishing Events

Go to mywildalberta website and search for Competitive Fishing Events for more information.

Important Notice: Fish Consumption Advisory

Sportfishing is an important part of Canadian culture and can be a fun and healthy outdoor experience for people of all ages. Fish is an excellent source of lean protein, and provides essential nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, iron, selenium and vitamins A, C and D. Despite the health benefits that are associated with eating fish, in some locations in Alberta, various species of fish may be exposed to mercury and other contaminants that when consumed in high levels can impact human health.

Methylmercury is the most toxic form of mercury. It is formed through natural biological processes in the water and sediment from other forms of mercury that are found in the environment. Contaminants accumulate in fat tissues and are persistent in fish, particularly in large predatory fish.

The Government of Alberta has been issuing and reviewing fish consumption advisories for fish caught from local waterbodies in Alberta since the 1990s. The Chief Medical Officer of Health in Alberta Health and Wellness is responsible for issuing food consumption advisories. Fish consumption advisories apply to local subsistence consumers, recreational anglers and residents who eat fish caught from these waterbodies. These advisories inform the public about any potential health hazards they may encounter when eating specific types of fish. The advisory helps local fish consumers make informed decisions about what is a safe amount of fish to eat.

Visit MyWildAlberta website for a list of waterbodies where Fish Consumption Advisories. Go to the Fishing tab; then Advisories and Closures tab; then to Fish Consumption Advisory tab.

About Press Release