Lakeland Heat Fall Short in Overtime, Make Young Fans Nights

The Lakeland Junior B Heat played their first game of June on June 10. The 7 p.m. start at Imperial Oil Place in Cold Lake matched them against the Sherwood Park Titans. The game went to overtime, and the Heat lost 7-6. This is the Cave Inspections Post Game Report!

Rough first period

The penalties started early into the first period of action. Jaedyn Stratychuk took the first high sticking call of the game just over two minutes in. The Heat took twelve minutes of penalties in the first, but it did not cost them a goal. Brae Howatt got the goal scoring going two minutes in with a beautiful cut out front off a pass from Jaedyn Stratychuk. Donavon Bibeau scored the second goal of the period for the Heat about halfway through the period. Chase Burkholder brought the Titans back within one a minute after the Bibeau goal. The Titans could have had a tie game if it weren’t for a moving pick call that got a powerplay goal called back.

The Heat intensifies

Burkholder tied the game at 2-2 under a minute into the second. The Heat grabbed the lead back on another goal by Donavon Bibeau at 17:47. Stratychuk would score his first goal of the game with 11:27 left in the second. It was his third point of the night. The goal also marked the Heat’s first powerplay of the game. The Titans responded with a powerplay goal of their own off the stick of Brody Waldon. The back and forth affair continued late into the second as Mitchell Bibeau and Tanner Barnes picked up goals to put the Heat up 6-3. Devon St. Arnaud struck the twine for the Titans final goal of the period, it was a shorthanded marker.

Things would go downhill from there. After a scoring chance, Cole Kulczycki got tied up with a Titans player, with a scrum ensuing. Things were heated, but no gloves were dropped.

Bit of rough stuff in the Heat Titans game! #lacrosse #Heat #LakelandHeat

A post shared by Lakeland Connect (@lakelandconnect) on

Not your everyday start

The third period started off three on three. The second period had ended three on three as well. The lack of players meant things cooled down for a few minutes. The Heat held the 6-4 lead until the 12:01 mark when Bryce Moffat scored for the Titans. Things boiled over 30 seconds later when Eric Cooseman took a charging call and was assessed a game misconduct. The scrum didn’t last as long as the second period melee, but still delayed the Heat from finishing things off. The game took a dramatic turn with 5:37 to go in the third. Sam Clayton scored for the Titans, and evened the game at 6’s. The game came down to the wire, but ultimately was tied at the final buzzer.

Five minutes of Overtime

The Heat were on a four minute powerplay entering the overtime frame. They had a few great chances that missed just wide in the early going. After a ball got away on the powerplay, the Titans had a partial break. The break resulted in a little confusion on the Heat’s defense, and a goal for the Titans. Brody Waldon netted the overtime winner to seal a 7-6 Titans victory.

“It was a good game. Tough to lose it in overtime, but it was a well played game. Tough physically, we were in the lead for the most of it, but too much time in the penalty box.” Mike Born, Heat Assistant Coach, said post game.

The post game for the players included a meet and greet with younger lacrosse players. The young fans got a chance to catch up with some of their coaches who play for the Junior B Heat, and get some autographs.

Quick turn around

The Heat will play again today (June 11) at Imperial Oil Place. The afternoon start is 1:30 p.m. against the Edmonton Warriors.