Canadiens Fall to Bisons in Game 1 of NEAJBHL Finals

Game one goes 8-2 to the Bisons

The St. Paul Canadiens opened the first game of the NEAJBHL Championship with a loss to Wainwright. The Bisons high powered offense struck early and often to prevail in game one.

“(Their scariest asset) is their top line. It’s extremely potent; they put up a lot of points this year. It seemed every game they had won, that line put up points.” Canadiens Coach Joe Young said of the Bisons offense on the Pre-Game Show.

Taylor Schubada opened the scoring the Bisons 1:25 into the game on a feed from Tyler Fischer. Stefen Freter stepped over the blue line and clapped one past David Rupp just 1:30 later. Down 2-0, the news got worse for the Canadiens in the latter half of the period. Tyler Fischer and Kobe Scott would strike for the Bisons. The shots after the first were 17-16 in favour of the Canadiens.

“We had intensity going, so did they. Just comes down to winning one on one battles.” Brodin Ference said on the Intermission Report.

The second period saw a goalie change for St. Paul. Tyler Kwiatkowski relieved David Rupp to begin the period, after Rupp allowed four goals in the first. Tyler Fischer and Chandler Klein picked up goals on Kwiatkowski in the period. The shots remained in favour of St. Paul after two periods of play, 35-30.

Canadiens push back in the third

St. Paul’s offense came alive in the third period. Kona Jackson sparked the bench with a goal almost halfway through the period. Ryley Wozniak drew the assist on the goal. Morgan Greve took a slashing call after trying to initiate a fight with a Bisons player. Things quickly flipped around for the Canadiens as they scored shorthanded on a great effort by Dyson Roy. The lead was cut to 6-2 for the Bisons. Penalty trouble would take over for St. Paul. Wainwright struck twice on the powerplay in the late going.

“We did have a lot of shots, but they were low quality. We didn’t cause mayhem in front of the net.” Coach Joe Young said Post-Game.

The game would end as an 8-2 final in favour of the Bisons. St. Paul outshot Wainwright 49-39. Next game is Sunday, March 19 at 5 p.m. at the Peace Memorial Multiplex in Wainwright.