fbpx
Wednesday , 30 November 2022
Residents closeby were able to see smoke and flames from blocks away.

Extensive damage to Bonnyville home after Monday evening fire

Firefighters worked to salvage a home in Bonnyville on Monday evening that had significant damage due to a suspected barbeque.

Around 6:00pm, Station 5 firefighters in town were called to a home on the 3800 block of 42nd Avenue.

Smoke was seen billowing from behind the property and the roof of the house.

BRFA fire chief Dan Heney said that a propane tank could be heard venting from pressure relief valve in the backyard.

Crews were able to quickly knock down the second floor fire, which allowed them to gain access inside. Heney said that the firefighters had to pull down the ceilings of the main floor to fight the fire that was in the attic space and were successful in putting it out.

“An initial investigation has been completed and it appears that the fire was started by a BBQ that was too close to the home,” said Heney in a written statement. “The BBQ ignited the vinyl siding which spread quickly up the back wall and into the soffit venting. This allowed flames rapid access to the attic spaces of the main and second floor.”

Credit is given to a quick thinking neighbour who called 911 and decisive actions by the Station 5 crews who were to credit for the ability to stop the fire before it spread to surrounding homes and completely destroying the initial home.

Damage to the building, however, is extensive.

About Michael Menzies

Menzies is the editor-at-large for Connected Media Inc. Born and raised in Vermilion, he started in May 2018 during his NAIT Radio and Television practicum and reports on local politics, sports, and community issues. He became the Bonnyville Pontiacs play-by-play voice during the 2019-20 season. He also comments on provincial and national issues. Menzies hosts Connected! Evening Monday-Thursday at 5 o’clock. He also likes to buy books and read some of them.