Monday , 2 August 2021

Wildfire season begins; permits needed for fires

Residents looking to do scheduled burns in the later stages of winter will now need a permit.

Wildfire season runs March 1 to October 31, and even though there is still snow on the ground, rural residents will need a permit.

If you live or work in the Municipal District of Bonnyville No. 87 and wish to conduct any burning, including burning barrels, you must first obtain a permit from a Fire Guardian or should you live in the Alberta Forest Protection Area, from your Agriculture and Forestry Office.

A winter burn that has been burning over winter must be extinguished before Monday as Fire Guardians cannot issue a permit on an existing burn.

Notice of 48 hours is needed when requesting a fire permit, which comes with no cost.

The contact information for the Fire Guardians is on the Bonnyville Regional Fire Authority’s website.


About Michael Menzies

Menzies is the editor-at-large for Connected Media Inc. Born and raised in Vermilion, he started in May 2018 during his NAIT Radio and Television practicum and reports on local politics, sports, and community issues. He became the Bonnyville Pontiacs play-by-play voice during the 2019-20 season. He also comments on provincial and national issues. Menzies hosts Connected! Evening Monday-Thursday at 5 o’clock. He also likes to buy books and read some of them.