Housing in Elizabeth Metis Settlement is going to be expanded.
In a press release on Monday, the provincial government announced just under $3 million will be used to provide 10 new four-bedroom homes on the Elizabeth Metis Settlement.
This includes a contribution from the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, a federal authority.
Kathy Lepine, councillor and president, Elizabeth Housing Authority, said this affordable housing initiative will support young families.
“This is an opportunity for our people to live in their own homes, as some were living off settlement or in crowded homes with extended family. This is an important contribution to healthy living in this community,” said Lepine in the release.
These modern homes are meant to alleviate overcrowding in the community and will be located close to schools, medical services, and recreation facilities.
The province said all of the homes include a large living space for family gatherings, which is an integral component of the Métis culture.
Indigenous Relations Minister, Rick Wilson, visited the Settlement last week to make the announcement.
“Everyone deserves a safe, affordable and accessible home, and this important project will provide good homes for families and address overcrowding in this community,” he said in the release.
This project is a good example of what we can accomplish when different orders of governments and Indigenous governments and organizations work together for the benefit of communities.”
The project budget includes a $153,000 Elizabeth Metis Settlement land contribution.