Earlier this afternoon, Bonnyville Regional Fire Authority (BRFA) attended a fire on Highway 660 at Range Road 461. Fire Chief, Brian McEvoy confirmed the fire was caused by an out of control grass fire.
“It was a fire in an industrial shop,” Chief McEvoy said the fire started in the gas and soon took over the building, which was a Quonset hut used for a spray foam business, Site Spray Foam.
“The fire was caused by unsafe burning of grass.”
McEvoy explained the fire started when one of the employees was cleaning up the area around the shop and decided to burn some dry grass.
“It was pretty much a total loss.”
Seven pieces of fire apparatus and 35 fire fighters responded to the blaze, which emitted a deep dark black smoke that could be seen from town. “The fire came in around 2:45 pm, the crews were back in the hall by 5:30 pm.”
“The fire was contained to the shop, itself,” McEvoy said there was no residential properties that were involved. “There were no injuries.”
McEvoy reminds everyone that it is fire season, “this time of year, all open fires outdoors, grass burning or whatever it may be, does require a permit from the M.D. (Municipal District of Bonnyville).”
McEvoy could not confirm or deny whether or not the company in question had a fire permit.
“The fire will smolder throughout the night. Because of the products that are in [the building] we can go in and snuff it out,” Chief McEvoy said that people may see smoke throughout the night, but not to worry as it is contained.