The Ronald McDonald run is May 7th in Cold Lake and will raise money to help families stay close to their kids who are being treated for major medical procedures in Edmonton. Manager of Development for the Lakeland Region, Oreen Skiba, says the last thing any family needs is to worry about, when a child is sick, is where they are going to sleep at night to stay together.
“Families are referred to us through a social worker and then we place them at the Ronald McDonald House (RMH),” Oreen says there has been over 170 families from the Lakeland region who have stayed at the RMH or benefitted from its programming. Because of the overwhelming need for the house, there is currently a waiting list. Families on the waiting list can stay at partner hotels for a reduced rate, until a suite becomes available at the house.
Families can really focus on the healing of their child, explains Oreen. “We have staff to prepare meals and take care of all of that; you have enough to worry about.” RMH also has tutors on staff to help other children in the family keep up with their school work. “There’s tutors and kids’ games and activities. It’s important to remember the siblings. Many families have more than one kid and we have to make sure they’re in school and keeping busy and active. We try to make it as close to their own home as possible.”
Money from the run will help to operate the house and continue this peace of mind for families. Oreen reports that the Run has 338 registered participants, already up from last year’s 335. As an incentive to raise money for the great cause, there are prizes for runners who raise the most money.
Prizes for Highest Fundraisers:
- Weekend in Vegas: 3-night stay at the Grandview at Las Vegas with $1,000 Avion certificate, blackout dates may apply. Minimum fundraising amount required: $1,500
- Team entry for the Lakeland Charity Golf Classic
- Two tickets to the Meatloaf concert on June 18, 2016 in Cold Lake
- Taylor Hall Autographed Frame Pack
- Jordan Eberle Autographed Frame Pack
- Comprehensive biomechanical/postural assessment & follow up session from Motion in Sync
Half Marathon: $75
10 km: $35
5 km: $25
Age 12 and Under 10 km or 5 km: No Fees. Must have an adult accompanying them who is participating in a Run for RMHCNA race.
- Set a goal.
- Email your friends and family.
- Use social media to spread the word.
- Approach your employer to make a matching donation.
- Set up a donation jar at work.