Northern Lights Public Schools is getting ready to welcome next year’s preschool and Kindergarten students during early learning open houses being held on Friday, May 13.
All NLPS elementary schools will be holding open house events to provide families with an opportunity to meet their staff, tour classrooms and learn more about our Little Lights, Care to Learn Preschool and full-day Kindergarten programs.
Some schools are also hosting events in the evening on Thursday, May 12. The full schedule is available below.
Northern Lights offers three early learning programs for children aged 2 years and 8 months to 6 years old:
- Through our Little Lights program, NLPS can access Program Unit Funding (PUF) for children as young as 2 years and 8 months who are identified as having developmental delays or disabilities. This can be used to provide services such as speech-language and occupational therapy.
- Care to Learn Preschool is a provincially-licensed preschool program operating in nine NLPS elementary schools. A variety of three-hour programs are offered at the nine locations, as well as full-day preschool programs at Duclos School in Bonnyville and Ecole Plamondon School. These programs will have reduced fees for 2022-2023, as our programs are eligible for the Federal Affordability Funding. Families with a household income of $180,000 or less can also apply for the Alberta Child Care Subsidy.
- All Northern Lights elementary schools offer a full-day Kindergarten program five days a week. We enhance the provincially-mandated half-day Kindergarten curriculum with a Kindergarten Extension program based on Flight: Alberta’s Early Learning and Care Curriculum Framework. The Kindergarten curriculum is taught by a certified teacher and follows Alberta Education’s Program of Studies. The Extension program is provided by our Extension Educational Assistants (EA’s).
Open House Dates and Times
Details about what is happening at each school will be shared on the school’s website and on their Facebook page.
|May 13, 9 am. – 12 p.m.|
|Art Smith Aviation Academy
(4 Wing Cold Lake)
K-8, French Immersion
|May 12, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
May 13 – call 780-594-1404 to book an appointment
|May 13, 9 a.m.- 3 p.m. by appointment only|
|Cold Lake Elementary School
16 Avenue, Cold Lake
|May 12, 6-7 p.m.
Parent Night with Q&A
May 13, 9-11 a.m. and 12-2 p.m.
52 Avenue, Bonnyville
K-4, Full-Day and Half-Day Preschool
|May 12, 6:30-7:30 pm.
May 13, 10-11 a.m. and 12-2:30 p.m.
|Ecole Plamondon School
K-12, Russian Language Program
Full-Day and Half-Day Preschool
|May 13, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 12:30 – 3 p.m.|
|May 13, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.|
|Iron River School
|May 13, 9:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.|
|Learning Together Anywhere School
K-9, Online Learning
|North Star Elementary School
50 Avenue, Cold Lake
|May 12, 6-7 p.m.
May 13, 10:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Booked screenings available by appointment on May 13, 1-3 p.m.
|Vera M. Welsh Elementary School
103 Street, Lac La Biche
|May 12, 4-7 p.m.
May 13, 9:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.
|Wandering River School
|May 13, call the school 780-771-3939 to make an appointment.|
How do I register?
NLPS offers online registration in its preschool and kindergarten programs to make the process as convenient as possible for parents and guardians. Full instructions are provided on the Preschool Registration and Kindergarten Registration pages on our website. Our school staff are available to assist with the registration process and answer any questions that parents have.
- Existing Care to Learn Preschool Students
Parents of our current preschool students receivde an email informing them that the 2022-2023 Preschool and Kindergarten Re-Enrolment Form has been assigned to them in School Engage. They can login to the PowerSchool Parent Portal to re-enroll their child in preschool or register them in Kindergarten.
- New Preschool Students
- Families who are new to Northern Lights (no other children currently enrolled in our schools), can register by filling out the 2022-2023 Preschool Registration form in School Engage.
- Families with other children already enrolled in a Northern Lights school, can register their new preschool student by logging into their PowerSchool Parent Portal account and clicking on School Engage in the bottom left hand corner of the screen to access the 2022-2023 Preschool Registration form.
- New Kindergarten Students
- Families who are new to Northern Lights (no other children currently enrolled in our schools), can register by filling out the 2022-2023 K-12 Registration Form in School Engage. This form can also be used to register new students in grades 1-12.
- Families with other children currently enrolled in a Northern Lights school, can register their new kindergarten student by logging into their PowerSchool Parent Portal account and clicking on School Engage in the bottom left hand corner of the screen to access the 2022-2023 K-12 Registration Form.