Once again the Cherry Grove Agricultural Society (CGAS) is holding their fantastic Lawn Tractor Races.
On August 21, in Cherry Grove there will be food, beer, and speed. What more do you need?
Konrad Moyer is helping plan the event with the Cherry Grove Agricultural Society.
“This year we’re growing and every year that we’ve had the races we’ve just gotten bigger and bigger,” Moyer told Caitlyn Bush from Lakeland Connect. “We’re getting more people involved, last year was difficult with COVID-19 and everything but fortunately we were still able to have it happen this year.”
Anyone can race who owns a mower Moyer says.
“So basically, if you got a lawnmower, you just drop the deck, bring it here and you can race,” Moyer said. “So that’s it, that’s all it takes, dropping the deck.”
Spectators for the event will get in free of charge and if you wish to enter the race the stock class entry fee is $10, modified class is $15 and super modified is $15.
“We’ve had a couple mowers last year that reached speeds of 80 to 100 kilometres per hour,” Moyer said.
Any driver wishing to enter the race must register with the CGAS prior to the race. The safety rules for racers are the following:
DRIVER SAFETY RULES:
- All race participants must be at least 16 years old. Drivers under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian sign a permission form and be present at sign-in and during the race.
- All drivers must wear long pants, a long-sleeved t-shirt, and closed-toed shoes.
- All sharp projections such as bolts, sheet metal etc. must be removed or protected. All glass must be removed.
- Each participant must wear a roadworthy helmet. Other protective equipment (Goggles, gloves, shin pads) is encouraged. Any participant who chooses not to wear additional gear does so at his/her own risk.
- Drivers who are intoxicated will NOT be allowed to race.
- Every driver must sign a race waiver discharging the Cherry Grove Recreational and Agricultural Society from liability.
- Race organizers will have the final say on whether or not an entrant may race.
The society will also be raffling off a custom racing mower valued at $10,000.
Tickets will be available to be purchased in person at the races or can be purchased from volunteers leading up to August 21, 2021.
Tickets can also be purchased online (small service and optional shipping fee will be added). Buy them HERE!
“This is a entirely free event to the public,” Moyer concluded.
-With files from Caitlyn Bush