Portage College, in partnership with Lac La Biche County, is holding an open call for artists to perform as part of the Lieutenant Governor of Alberta Distinguished Artist Awards in June 2021.
Submissions will be used to develop a program for the awards gala and banquet. Performances will be held at McArthur Park (outdoor) and/or Portage College Lac La Biche campus.
The theme is “Art Nature – The Confluences of Creation”. Event planning is based on face-to-face with consideration for virtual opportunities.
Artists will identify with one or more of the following categories:
- The Performing Arts, including: the creators, composers, choreographers, interpreters, and performers in music, dance, theatre and opera.
- The Visual Arts, including: painting, print making, sculpture, performance and installation art, photography, new media and fine craft.
- Cinematic Arts, including: film and video drama, documentary and art film/video
- Literary Arts, both English and French, including: novel, short story, blended genres, poetry, drama and creative non-fiction
Submissions will be assessed based on performance experience, suitability for event, and proposal for event performance. This call is open to all types of performing artists. There is no fee to submit. Preference will be given to unique performances.
Artists are responsible for any specialty equipment associated with their performance. Basic sound and audio will be available.
Sets can be up to 15 minutes in length and can be any type of performance art including but not limited to music, dance, comedy, spoken word, etc.
Performance fees will be based on applicable professional association (i.e. CARFAC, Canada Council, CAEA, CADA etc.) fee schedule.
Please include the following with your submission:
- Your biography, photo, excerpts from media and/or audience testimonials. (Screenshots of concert reviews on social media work great!) Keep it simple.
- A proposal for performance content.
- A sample of recent performance video footage (DVD or web links). Clearly indicate which 5 minutes or two tracks you would like reviewed.
- A list of required sound equipment (number of microphones, monitor, cords, etc.) If you prefer, you may bring your own, but there is no additional fee payable.
Deadline for submissions February 26, 2021.
Electronic submissions are preferred and can be emailed to [email protected] including LGADAA in the subject line. Submissions sent by mail must be postmarked no later than this date to Box 417, 9531-94 Ave, Lac La Biche Portage College Campus, with attention to Carrie Froehler. Applications received after this deadline will only be considered should performance opportunities still be available. Only successful candidates will be contacted.
Artist selection will be by selection committee and contracts will be completed. Arrangements for performance and production details will follow.
Note: Submission materials will not be returned. Artists are responsible for any travel arrangements and expenses that are not included in their performance agreement.
For more information, please contact [email protected] or call 780-623-5581.