Portage College is excited to announce that it has launched a new safety app called PortageAlert as part of its commitment to emergency preparedness and campus safety.
Built with Portage College students, staff and faculty in mind, PortageAlert is a free mobile app that serves as a one-stop access point for College safety resources. Two key highlights of the app are the push notifications and safety alerts, which allows the College to communicate campus emergencies to users.
Other features include:
- Fingertip access to make direct calls from the app to Campus Security and 911
- College emergency plans, which includes steps and procedures on how students and employees should respond to potential emergencies, such as an active shooter, lockdown, severe weather, medical emergency, fire alarm and more
- Easy access support resources for Portage Counselling (for students), LifeWorks and Human Resources (for employees), the Mental Health Crisis Line, Bullying Hotline and Alberta’s One Line for Sexual Violence
- A report-a-tip button that allows you to anonymously send crime tips, report suspicious and other information to Campus Security
- Friend Walk, which allows students and employees to send their location in real time to a friend so they can watch as you walk to your destination – both can trigger a call to emergency services if necessary
“The safety of our College community, whether its students, employees or visitors to the College, is our number one priority,” said Andre Delaire, Manager, Compliance and Human Resources. “The PortageAlert app is a valuable resource for health and safety information and it also serves as our mass notification system for emergencies.”
The app is available for download in the Google Play and Apple Store. https://apparmor.com/clients/portagecollege.ca/