Environment Canada has issued an extreme cold warning for the Lakeland region. A prolonged period of very cold wind chills is expected.
An Arctic airmass has settled into northern Alberta, giving a period of extreme wind chills near minus 40. Temperatures are expected to moderate over northwestern Alberta by this afternoon and over northeastern Alberta by the weekend.
Extreme cold puts everyone at risk.
Keep emergency supplies in your vehicle such as extra blankets and jumper cables.
If it’s too cold for you to stay outside, it’s too cold for your pet to stay outside.
Extreme cold warnings are issued when very cold temperatures or wind chill creates an elevated risk to health such as frost bite and hypothermia.
Extreme Cold Warning in effect for:
- Co. of St. Paul near Ashmont St. Vincent and St. Lina
- Co. of St. Paul near Elk Point and St. Edouard
- Co. of St. Paul near Lindbergh and Frog Lake
- Co. of St. Paul near St. Paul and Lafond
- Improvement District 349 including Cold Lake Air Weapons Range
- Lac La Biche Co. near Fork Lake
- Lac La Biche Co. near Heart Lake
- Lac La Biche Co. near Lac La Biche and Square Lake
- Lac La Biche Co. near Lakeland Prov. Park and Rec. Area
- Lac La Biche Co. near Plamondon Hylo and Avenir
- M.D. of Bonnyville near Beaverdam
- M.D. of Bonnyville near Bonnyville Ardmore and Kehewin Res.
- M.D. of Bonnyville near Cold Lake and City of Cold Lake
- M.D. of Bonnyville near Fishing Lake Smt
- M.D. of Bonnyville near Glendon and Moose Lake
- M.D. of Bonnyville near La Corey Wolf Lake and Truman
- Smoky Lake Co. near Buffalo Lake and Kikino Smts
- Smoky Lake Co. near Vilna Saddle Lake and Whitefish Lake
Tonight’s forecast is calling for Clear. Becoming partly cloudy overnight. Wind up to 15 km/h. Low minus 31. Wind chill minus 33 in the evening and minus 40 overnight. Frostbite in minutes.
For tomorrow a mix of sun and cloud. Becoming cloudy in the afternoon with 30 percent chance of flurries later in the afternoon. Wind up to 15 km/h. High minus 20. Wind chill minus 39 in the morning and minus 26 in the afternoon. Risk of frostbite. UV index 1 or low.