The world-famous Bonnyville Skipperoos had an “amazing weekend” at Provincials this past weekend, reports assistant coach Skye Christians. Many team members brought home hardware from the competition, which was held in Grimshaw Saturday and Sunday.
“The 10 and under team “Joey’s” placed 1st overall,” that was just the beginning, reports Christians, “The 11-12 Female team “Kangas” also were 1st place finishers, and set two new Alberta Records for the single rope speed relay and the single rope power relay events.” The competition wasn’t just for the kids, there was a category for adults, ages 18-29 years old, says Christians, “the third team consisting of two Skipperoo members “Ropin’ Roos” placed second overall in the 18-29 open category.”
Placing at Provincials means all three teams will represent Alberta at Nationals, explains Christians, ” All three teams qualified to represent Alberta at the Nationals competition to be held on May long weekend in Olds.”
On Sunday the individual competition, or Masters as they are referred to in the skipping world. Christians says the day was, “in general a success for the Bonnyville team as well,” with
Masters winners who will move Onto Nationals
10 & Under Female
- Kate-Lynn Mahon placed 3rd overall
- Isabella Watters placed 4th overall
- Ella Murphy placed 9th overall
10 & Under Male
- Zenon Landry placed 3rd overall
11-12 Year Old Females
- Rylie Landry placed 1st overall
- Caydence Dechaine placed 3rd overall
- Mackenzie Gibbons placed 2nd in the single rope speed event and earned a place as a specialty place on the Alberta team.
13-14 Year Old Males
- Brady Christians earned a spot on the Alberta team with his 7th overall place in the 13-14 Male age category.
Over 30 Year Olds
- Renee Marchildon qualified to compete at Nationals
“Our athletes all had an amazing weekend, and strived to reach their personal goals,” says Christians, the Skipperoos that will represent Alberta will held to Olds May 20-23rd, 2016. “We are very excited that our club will be able to take so many athletes to represent Alberta for the Rope Skipping Canada Nationals competition next month.”