A local organization has found other ways to give back during these challenging times.
In lieu of their 20th Annual Golf Tournament, the Vermilion Credit Union doled out $1,000 each to 20 local groups.
Their Community Cares Campaign saw 71 nominations for 43 organizations, leaving them no choice but to pull names from a hat. In years past, the event has raised over $120,000.
“Even though we weren’t able to host a day of fun out on the course, we still wanted to celebrate this 20-year endeavour by supporting local groups who continue to contribute to our community in great ways,” said marketing coordinator, Charlotte Wasylik.
Many of the selected groups have fees for participants, and fellow recipient and KidSport representative, Kevin Lucas said, “This donation will make some people very happy. In these times, it’s probably more relevant and will bring some relief to families.”
Recipient charities and organizations included:
- Mannville Library
- Mannville Continuing Long Term Care
- Mannville Senior Citizens Golden Age Club
- Mannville Skating Club, Mannville and Community Fitness Centre
- Mannville and District Ag Society
- Lakeland College Student SOS Fund
- Lakeland Rowing Club
- Sword and Thistle Highland Dance (formerly Mannville/Vermilion Highland Dance)
- St. Jerome’s Hot Lunch Program
- VES Hot Lunch Program
- Vermilion & Area Handi-Van Society
- Vermilion Curling Club
- Vermilion Ice Plant Fund
- Vermilion KidSport
- Kiddie Oasis
- Vermilion Museum
- Vermilion Figure Skating Club
- Vermilion Golf and Country Club
- Vermilion Ukrainian Dance
Manager of Member Experience, Christa Grocock, said it was good to be able to make some donations.
“We’re very thankful for the Vermilion Credit Union’s involvement in the community. It’s a big reason why I bank here,” said Andrew McCrae, Vermilion Curling Club.