Animal Shelter Manager
$20 – $30/hour ~ commensurate with experience & qualifications
40 hours per week (with partial work from home option)
Are you looking for a position where you can make a tremendous difference in the lives of
animals and our community? Does the idea of connecting pets with loving families appeal
to you? As our Shelter Manager, you will have the opportunity to lead our team in the
provision of compassionate, effective and efficient care, program delivery and services with
your team of cooperative staff members and volunteers.
Our Shelter Manager is someone who is looking for a rewarding position, appreciates daily and
varied challenges, as well as the opportunity for partial work-from-home hours. Under the direction
of the Board Chairperson, or alternate designate of the LLBRHS Board of Directors, you will
oversee daily shelter operations, administrative duties and managing shelter staff and volunteers.
This will be achieved through the efficient performance of daily tasks, effective critical assessment
of arising situations, excellent organizational skills, and appropriate follow-through action in a
respectful and positive culture.
Education and Experience Qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Post Secondary Diploma in Business Administration, Veterinary Office or Animal Health
Assistant, Veterinary Technologist or animal related field of study preferred.
- Minimum of 1 year of supervisory experience.
- Valid Alberta driver’s license with good driving record.
Any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent of required knowledge, skills
and abilities may be considered.
- Be familiar with methods and procedures of managing animal shelters.
- Have an understanding of laws, rules and regulations governing the operation of animal
- Be familiar with financial best practices, budgets, grant applications and research.
- Have excellent and effective communication skills, both oral and written.
- Have strong organizational skills.
- Be familiar with Pet Point Data Management System (or equivalent) and records
- Be capable of preparing work schedules and directing staff and volunteers.
- Be competent in the safe and effective handling of animals
- Be comfortable and competent in assessing and medicating animals.
- Knowledge and application of Alberta Labour Standards
- Experience / understanding of working with boards
- Have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others encountered in the workplace and community
- Must be physically able to perform assigned duties.
Physical and Working Environment
This position isn’t for everyone as it can be messy, smelly, and at times stressful, but if
making a significant difference in the lives of shelter animals is something you are
passionate about, this just might be the most fulfilling and purpose-driven job you’ve ever
had! Normal mental and visual attention required. Physical efforts require regular bending,
reaching, kneeling, standing, lifting, carrying and restraining animals, and the operation of vehicles
and equipment. Work requires potential exposure to sick animals, frequent interruptions, high noise
levels, animal feces, animal allergens, bites, scratches, adverse weather, traffic, cleaning
chemicals, fumes, dust, etc. Safety procedures must be adhered to at all times. This position may
require working occasional weekends, holidays and beyond normal scheduled hours depending on
the needs of the organization.
LLBRHS incorporated as a non-profit society & registered charity with the following
To enable the provision of humane treatment of animals who would
otherwise be neglected, mistreated or killed, & to relieve their pain &
suffering through educational efforts as well as direct intervention.
We believe that the neglect of local animals is a regional problem
and is deserving of a regional solution.
Our service area is inclusive of all communities within Lac La Biche County peripheral
Please email resume and cover letter to [email protected]
We are currently restructuring due to growth so it is an exciting time here at LLBRHS!
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and post will remain open until suitable
candidate is found.