The County of St. Paul, Town of St. Paul, Town of Elk Point and the Summer Village of Horseshoe Bay are currently recruiting a
Director of Emergency Management
Occupational Health and Safety
The Director of Emergency Management and Occupational Health and Safety manages the Region’s Safety Management System (RSMS) and the Regional Emergency Management Plan (REMP), by developing, implementing, coordinating, monitoring and evaluating plans, policies and strategies that will improve the municipalities capacity to respond effectively to incidents and major emergencies, and occupational health and safety requirements of all employees.
This position reports to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) of the County of St. Paul, however there is required coordination with all the CAO’s included in this regional partnership. This position also takes direction from the Regional Emergency Advisory Committee and coordinates the activities of the Regional Emergency Management Agency.
- Establish, maintain, and act as Director of the Regional Emergency Coordination Centre (ECC), upon activation of the Regional Emergency Management Plan.
- Coordinate maintenance and annual review of the Regional Emergency Management Plan.
- Coordinate public information programs to keep all local residents informed about emergency management activities.
- Assess the need for and coordinate necessary training to support the Regional Emergency Management Plan.
- Coordinate exercises to test the Regional Emergency Management Plan, and ensure a process of continuous improvement.
- Liaise with provincial emergency management authorities (AEMA District Officer).
- Conduct safety incident and near miss investigations. Lead workplace hazard analyses and develop mitigation action plans. Assure proper PPE, safety plans and training are available.
- Monitor contractor, visitor and partner activities and ensure their compliance with theirs or our site safety management system.
- Perform workplace orientations and ensure training for employees, contractors, suppliers and visitors.
- Support as required with WCB in the return to work program for injured employees.
- Conduct safety audits, observations, formal and non-formal workplace inspections, and assist in the development of corrective action plans in consultation with department managers and supervisors.
- An emergency management and/or emergency response background would be desirable.
- Certification or experience in managing and coordinating Occupational Health and Safety programs
- Knowledgeable of the structure, functions, objectives and interrelationships of federal, provincial, and local governments, as it pertains to emergency management and occupational health and safety
- Knowledgeable or certified in the Incident Command System (ICS)
- Good team building, coaching, and communication skills.
- Ability to evaluate situations and exercise good judgment in making decisions.
Remuneration will be negotiated based on knowledge and experience of applicant.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their resumes by October 19 to:
Sheila Kitz, CAO
County of St. Paul
5015 – 49 Ave.
St. Paul, AB
Or email [email protected]