Tellier Guardian Pharmacy Health Tips: January 25th, 2017
With people making health a priority in the new year, let’s not forget about mental health as well!
We all want to be healthy and happy. No one can be truly healthy without positive mental health. It involves how we feel, think, act and interact with the world around us. Mental health is about coping with the normal stresses of life and making a contribution to our community.
Ask for help or seek advice from a professional – give your mental health the attention it needs and deserves.
YOUR PATH TO MENTAL WELL-BEING
Positive mental health isn’t about avoiding problems or trying to achieve a “perfect” life. It’s about living well and having the tools to cope with difficult situations even during life’s challenges. Each person’s path to mental well-being is unique. We all have our own goals, our own challenges, our own talents and our own supports. But positive mental health is within everyone’s reach.
Staying mentally healthy is like staying physically fit— it requires effort. But the rewards are worth it! Everyone has to face stresses and demands, but we all need and deserve breaks. Daily physical exercise, for instance, not only makes you stronger and more fit, but it also improves your mood and your sense of well-being.
Taking charge of your mental well-being.
SEEK THE HELP OF A PROFESSIONAL
- If you have a mental health concern, speak with your doctor
- If you need direction in your work life, speak to a career counsellor or human resources expert and make a career plan
- To repair relationships with loved ones and friends, talk to an expert and work through any issues
- For financial challenges, contact a financial planner or debt advisor
POSITIVE MENTAL HEALTH TIPS
- Talk to your doctor if you are experiencing problems with your mental health
- Check with your employer: many Employee Assistance Plans (EAPs) and benefit plans will provide access to counselling services
- Reach out to people you trust: personal connections are some of the most powerful healing tools for combatting depression
- Live well: a healthy lifestyle can boost your mood
Mental Health for Children and Youth
Tellier Pharmacy is a community pharmacy and we want to encourage conversation about youth mental health as well. Early support and intervention are vital, as research shows that half of all lifetime cases of mental illness begin by age 14. http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/amh/Page2748.aspx or contact your nearest Community Health Services.
Depression affects 350 million people worldwide and 4.5 million people in Canada. There is a huge stigma that surrounds depression and mental health that leads to an underestimated and under-diagnosed patient population. If you have questions, talk to one of our pharmacists today on information about mental health.
Do You Have Winter Allergies?
Did You Know?
- You can develop allergies at anytime in your life although they most commonly begin in childhood.
- If your parents have allergies, your chances of developing allergies are 50%. If only one parent has allergies, the risk is 30% and if neither of your parents have allergies, you still have a 10% chance of developing it yourself. However, you don’t inherit the tendency to be allergic to the same things.
- Ragweed, a weed that blooms in the fall is the most common cause of allergy in North America.
The culprit(s) that starts the ball rolling in allergic reactions are allergens. Allergens are anything to which a person becomes allergic. They include pollen (from weeds, grass, and trees), dust mites, mould, spores, animal dander, feathers, cereal grains, air-borne chemical pollutants etc.). Sometimes, skin testing to determine the exact source of the allergy may be necessary. Treating allergies includes complete avoidance of the allergen, medications to relieve symptoms and occasionally allergy shots.
Medications such as antihistamines are used to prevent or relieve the symptoms of allergic rhinitis and other allergies. They work by preventing the release of histamine- a substance produced by the body during an allergic reaction. Antihistamines come in tablet, capsule, liquid, or injection form and are available both over-the-counter and by prescription.
Decongestants are often helpful in treating nasal congestion and other symptoms associated with colds and allergies. They work by narrowing blood vessels, leading to clearing of nasal congestion. As with any medication, decongestants can cause side effects like nervousness sleeplessness or elevation in blood pressure. Our pharmacist can help you determine what’s best for you.
If you used any allergy medication last season, now may be a good time to reach into your medicine cabinet and take a quick look at the product’s expiry date before using it once again. If the product has expired, bring it into our pharmacists and they will safely dispose of it for you.
Have you had your flu shot yet? It’s not too late!
Per the Government of Canada Weekly Flu Report: Seasonal influenza activity continues to increase in Canada, with greater numbers of influenza detections, hospitalizations and outbreaks being reported. It’s not too late to continue to protect more people in your community.
Visit Tellier Pharmacy today to get your flu shot! No appointment necessary. And if you suspect you already have the flu and don’t want to avoid wait times at the doctor’s office. Try the NEW Rapid Point of Care Testing only at Tellier Pharmacy! $20 and 10 minutes later, you will know if you have the flu or strep throat!
Speaking of Medications…
Tellier Pharmacy loves to make your medications simple and convenient.
We can package your prescriptions and over-the-counter medications by day and time so that you know exactly what to take and when. This ensures you are taking the right medications EVERY TIME.
Schedule your medication with Bubble Packs. All regular medications are packaged at no additional cost. In order to handle your medication schedule properly, your Tellier Guardian Pharmacist will work with you to manage dose changes, and will notify you when your physician should be contacted for renewals.
Talk to your friendly pharmacist to find out more. Because taking the right medications at the right time is a vital part of staying healthy!
Fun Facts About the Avocado!
The avocado is a rather unique type of fruit. Most fruit consists primarily of carbohydrate, while avocado is high in healthy fats. Numerous studies show that it has powerful beneficial effects on health. Here are some health benefits of avocado, that are supported by scientific research.
Did you Know?
- They contain more Potassium than bananas.
- Avocados and avocado oil are high in monounsaturated oleic acid, a “heart healthy” fatty acid that is believed to be one of the main reasons for the health benefits of olive oil.
- They are loaded with fiber
- Numerous studies have shown that eating avocado can improve heart disease risk factors like Total, LDL and HDL cholesterol, as well as blood triglycerides
- Studies have shown that eating avocado or avocado oil with veggies can dramatically increase the amount of antioxidants you take in
- Avocados are high in antioxidants, including Lutein and Zeaxanthin. These nutrients are very important for eye health and lower the risk of macular degeneration and cataracts
- The nutrients in avocados may have benefits in preventing prostate cancer, and lowering side effects of chemotherapy in some cells
- Helps with a healthy pregnancy
Feeling Better Starts Here