Northern Lights Public Schools is excited to start welcoming next year’s preschool and Kindergarten students and help them get ready to begin their learning journeys.
Early learning registration opens April 1 and all of the division’s elementary schools will be hosting in-person open houses for new preschool and Kindergarten students and their families on Friday, May 13. Schools are also planning additional opportunities for families to learn more about early learning programming and will be sharing details in the coming weeks. To find out more about what is planned for your local elementary school, please follow them on Facebook or check their website for information.
“We are looking forward to being able to welcome families into our schools for open houses this year,” said Board Chair Karen Packard. “We want all of our new students to get to know their new school and feel excited about attending in the fall.”
Fees for preschool will be reduced in 2022-2023, as our programs are eligible to receive Federal Affordability Funding. Families with an income of $180,000 or less are also eligible for the Alberta Child Care Subsidy.
“We know that cost has been a barrier for many families who want to enroll children in preschool,” said Packard. “This will help make preschool more affordable and provide more students with the opportunity to benefit from preschool programming.”
Northern Lights will also be offering families an opportunity to determine if their children would benefit from our Little Lights program. This program is for preschool-aged children who need intervention services in key developmental areas such as speech and language, motor skills and self-care, social/emotional, and/or children with a medical diagnosis such as Autism Spectrum Disorder, Down’s Syndrome, or Cerebral Palsy. Conversations, questionnaires, and assessments can help determine what services children may need and help families access those services. These services can include speech-language pathology, occupational therapy, physical therapy, and psychological services and assessments, in addition to our robust early childhood programming. Families who would like more information are encouraged to fill out the interest form on the Little Lights page on our website or to contact one of our elementary schools.
Northern Lights offers several early learning programs for children aged two years and eight months to six years old:
- Through our Little Lights program, NLPS can access Program Unit Funding (PUF) for children as young as two years and eight months who are identified as having developmental delays or disabilities. This can be used to provide services such as speech-language and occupational therapy.
- Care to Learn Preschool is a provincially-licensed preschool program operating in nine NLPS elementary schools. A variety of three-hour programs are offered at the nine locations, as well as full-day preschool programs at Duclos School in Bonnyville and Ecole Plamondon School. These programs will have reduced fees for 2022-2023, as our programs are eligible for the Federal Affordability Funding. Families with a household income of $180,000 or less can also apply for the Alberta Child Care Subsidy.
- All Northern Lights elementary schools offer a full-day Kindergarten program five days a week. We enhance the provincially-mandated half-day Kindergarten curriculum with a Kindergarten Extension program based on Flight: Alberta’s Early Learning and Care Curriculum Framework. The Kindergarten curriculum is taught by a certified teacher and follows Alberta Education’s Program of Studies. The Extension program is provided by our Extension Educational Assistants (EA’s).
How do I register?
NLPS offers online registration in its preschool and kindergarten programs to make the process as convenient as possible for parents and guardians. Full instructions are provided on the Preschool Registration and Kindergarten Registration pages on our website. Their school staff are available to assist with the registration process and answer any questions that parents have.
- Existing Care to Learn Preschool Students
Parents of our current preschool students will receive an email informing them that the 2022-2023 Preschool and Kindergarten Re-Enrolment Form has been assigned to them in School Engage. They will be able to login to the PowerSchool Parent Portal to re-enroll their child in preschool or register them in Kindergarten.
- New Preschool Students
Registration will open for new preschool students on April 1, 2022.
- Families who are new to Northern Lights (no other children currently enrolled in our schools), can register by filling out the 2022-2023 Preschool Registration form in School Engage.
- Families with other children already enrolled in a Northern Lights school, can register their new preschool student by logging into their PowerSchool Parent Portal account and clicking on School Engage in the bottom left hand corner of the screen to access the 2022-2023 Preschool Registration form.
- New Kindergarten Students
Registration will open for new Kindergarten students on April 1, 2022.
- Families who are new to Northern Lights (no other children currently enrolled in our schools), can register by filling out the 2022-2023 K-12 Registration Form in School Engage. This form can also be used to register new students in grades 1-12.
- Families with other children currently enrolled in a Northern Lights school, can register their new kindergarten student by logging into their PowerSchool Parent Portal account and clicking on School Engage in the bottom left hand corner of the screen to access the 2022-2023 K-12 Registration Form.
Preschool or Kindergarten?
Not sure if you should register your child for preschool or if they are eligible to attend Kindergarten instead?
- The age of entry for Kindergarten is five years of age by December 31 of the school year you are enrolling in. So to start Kindergarten in September 2022, students will need to be five years of age by December 31, 2022.
- To confirm when your child will be eligible for Kindergarten, please check out our Kindergarten eligibility calculator on the NLPS Kindergarten Registration page.