On Feb. 2, 2022, Cold Lake RCMP executed a search warrant at a rural property in Cold Lake North as a result of an ongoing stolen property investigation by the RCMP Lakeland Crime Reduction Unit.
An extensive search of the property was conducted with the assistance of Cold Lake RCMP, Eastern Alberta RCMP Crime Reduction Unit and the Alberta RCMP Auto Theft Unit. Police recovered an assortment of stolen property including a stolen pickup truck with fraudulent vehicle identification numbers, oilfield tools and equipment and a Jayco holiday trailer.
Joseph Michael Horwath (53), of Cold Lake, was arrested and charged with the following Criminal Code offences:
- Trafficking of property obtained by crime over $5000
- Possession of property obtained by crime over $5000 (x2)
- Possession of property obtained by crime under $5000
- Unlawful tampering of a vehicle identification number
- Fraudulent concealment of a vehicle identification number
- Mischief over $5000
- Possession of a controlled substance (methamphetamine).
Horwath was held for a judicial hearing and was released by a Justice of the Peace on a no cash deposit Release Order.
Horwath is scheduled to attend Cold Lake Provincial Court on Mar. 9, 2022.