The Wainwright Bisons sit first place in the NEAJBHL after a 3-2 overtime victory against the St. Paul Canadiens on Saturday.
St. Paul came roaring back after surrendering the game’s first goal and got tallies from Nicolas Beaudoin and William Chemago to force overtime. However, just 29 seconds into overtime Ryder Kenyon scored the winner, giving the Bisons the crucial two points in the standings.
“I was pretty proud of the way the guys battled back,” said Canadiens coach Shawn Germain after the game. “Even when we fell behind in the second period and had a really good third period, so I thought we played a lot better. They’re a great team and I think it’s going to be a battle all year.”
“We want to generate more offence. It’s something we’re working on all the time. But you never know what you’re dealt from year to year as far as what players you have. I think we’re super detailed on the defensive side right now, and now we just need to try and get more pucks to the net,” said Germain.
The night before in a gritty, tight affair, the Canadiens beat the Cold Lake Ice 1-0 with Liam Boyko’s late first period goal being the only required. Ethin Campbell made all 27 saves, while Dustin Johnson-Watson 32 of 33 in a losing cause.
It was not Cold Lake’s weekend, as the following night, the Killam Wheat Kings ran the show with a 8-1 rout.
The Vermilion Tigers two wins over the week, including a 8-7 overtime thriller against the Lac La Biche Clippers on Sunday, sees them leapfrog Cold Lake for fourth in the league with 12 points.
- Wednesday, November 10 | Vermilion Tigers at Killam Wheat Kings 8PM
- Friday, November 12 | Cold Lake Ice at Lloydminster Bandits 7:30PM Wainwright Saturday.
- Friday, November 12 | St. Paul Canadiens at Vermilion Tigers 8pm
- Saturday, November 13 | St. Paul Canadiens at Lloydminster Bandits 7:30PM
- Saturday, November 13 | Cold Lake Ice at Wainwright Bisons 8PM
- Saturday, November 13 | Killam Wheat Kings at Lac La Biche Clippers 7:30PM
- Sunday, November 14 | Lac La Biche Clippers at Cold Lake Ice 5PM