Indigenous Victims Outreach Specialist (IVOS)
Maternity Leave – Contract
Cold Lake Victim Services works in partnership with the RCMP in Cold Lake and with the surrounding Indigenous Communities of Cold Lake First Nations and Elizabeth Metis Settlement to provide support, assistance, information and referral to victims of crime.
This full-time maternity leave contract position requires a self-motivated individual to provide a dedicated outreach function in which they travel to the indigenous communities on a regular and consistent basis to provide victim of crime services. This position would provide a liaison function between Indigenous victims of crime, their local victim service unit and other agencies and services, including the criminal justice system, social services and policing.
Responsibilities of this position focus on providing targeted services to ensure that Indigenous victims of crime can access their rights as victims as outlined in both the Canadian Victims Bill of Rights and the Alberta Victims of Crime Act. Key to this service is the building and maintaining of relationships, including the primary one with the victim that may require a facilitated referral approach. Relationships with community agencies/stakeholders and with other community representatives/members are also significant service targets. Additionally, it will be important to participate in activities that promote victim services. The goal is to provide a consistent, culturally safe response to all victims of crime.
- Post-secondary education in the human services field.
- Excellent problem-solving, communication, time management and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to build relationships with staff, volunteers, RCMP members and other community partners and stakeholders
- Ability to work with diversity, cross-cultural issues and cultural sensitive practice.
- A willingness to sometimes work a flexible schedule to accommodate events
- Available for occasional after-hours on-call duties.
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must obtain and maintain an enhanced RCMP security clearance
- Ability to work with RCMP-VSU operational policies and procedures
- Complete all training through Alberta Justice and Solicitor General
- Knowledge and experience working in the Criminal Justice System would be an asset
Salary commensurate with education and experience
Application Deadline: February 26, 2021
Submit resume via email only to:
Dave Zimmerman, Program Manager
Cold Lake Victim Services
Thank you for your application, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted