Multiple events to be held throughout Lakeland on September 9th
The Lakeland Centre for FASD (LCFASD) is hosting events at 13 different communities on Friday to help raise awareness for the centre & its programming, as well as Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder. Tabrina Stenz, with LCFASD in Cold Lake, says at each event the goal is to involve the community.
In Cold Lake, the day will include a pancake breakfast from 8:30-11:30, “it’s all free. It’s an awareness event and to celebrate National FASD Day.” The breakfast will be followed by the LCFASD famous Mocktail Challenge. “We have six teams registered,” Stenz says it’s the second year the Mocktail Challenge will be held in the back parking lot of the building and it usually gets quite competitive. “We have Mayor Craig Copeland coming down to judge,” Stenz expects a lot of fun in the afternoon. “The public is welcome to come and watch. Cheer on their favourite teams and there will be prizes for the participants.” Along with laughs and good times, there will be information available on LCFASD services, programming, and FASD.
Along with Cold Lake the following communities will be hosting an event for National FASD Day
- Bonnyville at C2 11-1 BBQ
- Elk Point at Coop 11-1 BBQ & Mocktail Challenge
- St. Paul Centennial Seniors Centre 11-1 Mocktail Challenge
- Lac La Biche 3404 93rd street 11-1 BBQ & Mocktails
- Buffalo Lake 11-1 BBQ & info session
- Elizabeth Settlement September 11 11-1 Brunch & Suicide Awareness Walk
- Fishing Lake Community Walk
- Beaver Lake Health Services
- Kehewin Health Service 8-10 Breakfast
- Frog Lake Band Building 8-11 Breakfast
- Cold Lake First Nations TBA BBQ & Mocktails
“We’re trying to get as many communities involved as we can, build bridges, raise awareness and support each other.” For more information on the Lakeland Centre for FASD or the events on September 9th visit LCFASD on Facebook.